Saturday, November 17, 2007

Psycho bits and pieces

The films trailer



Psycho II Teaser:

Psycho II Trailer



The Psycho III Trailer



Bates Motel. The NBC TV movie that threatened us with a series. Bud Cort stars.


Psycho III the bastard title sequence.
For those of you who remember the film BRAZIL you may know that there is a "Love Conquers All" version. This TV version of PSYCHO III was done around the same time. Several films were sold for syndication in a package and reworked. DUNE PSYCHO III AND BRAZIL got the short end of the stick.
Here is the bastardized title sequence from PSYCHO III



Part of the Psycho III opening credits. You'll notice there voice over is gone.
That was part of the package for all the films sold into syndication that season. Crappy narration was added and sometimes even pastel drawings were used to fill areas where there was no footage shot. Like the opening you just saw.

Psycho IV introduction by Janet Leigh


Gus Van Sant's 1998 Project:

While I dont mind a retelling of the story this new version was not shot for shot as Universal advertised.


Shot for shot my ass



There is a sea of psycho-esque nods tributes and (like all the sequels) rip-offs.
Here is an offensive rip-off:

The preview of this episode is not as offensive as the actual thing. I just can't get past the Knight Rider bastardization of the score.


One cute nod to Psycho was in an episode of Amazing Stories called "Welcome to my nightmare" in which a boy who is obsessed with the film Psycho get stuck in the film and realizes its no laughing matter. I'd love to show you a clip but it has not surfaced on the internet yet.

2 comments:

WAT said...

Ah yes, my fav Hitchcock film of all time. I recently had the privilege of walking by the actual sets too! That was really exciting!

I haven't seen Psycho II or III in a few years, but I do remember them being decent sequels. It is kind of creepy that Norman Bates was sentenced to 22 years in prison, and then the actual part II came out in 1982, exactly 22 years after the original in 1960.

Gus Van Sant's version...WELL, you already know how I feel about that one.

mary bishop said...

I have never watched the sequels - just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe I should watch the second one...I find that 22 years coincidence chilling...