Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From Among the Dead


Personality Hotels has expanded and purchased the York Hotel. In 1958 The York Hotel, then named The Empire Hotel, was featured in the film Vertigo.
Company President Yvonne Lembi-Detert said Personality plans to relaunch the 96-room York as the Vertigo, a nod to the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock movie of the same name.
Personally I think it is a horrible idea. Rename it "The Empire" and return the neon sign.
Don't name it Vertigo. Naming places after adverse medical conditions is never a good idea.

2 comments:

WAT said...

Oh yes, name it the Hotel Empire again indeed.

In my favorite Hitchcock movie ever, there was a famous fictional motel.

Gavin Elster said...

I have pictures of myself inside the set of Cabin #1. In the mid 90's Universal actually made cabin #1 a functional room. Complete with working bathroom.
The one thing I wish I took from that place (as the showerhead and toilet were long gone) was to rip off a piece of that damn wallpaper. I'd really love to have that pattern.