Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Vet

Taking a little break from posting the usual madness.

Yesterday I took my cat to the Vet for a blood test. It seemed routine enough. While I was waiting a woman in the waiting room was sobbing. Yes its common in Vets to see this but her sobs were spotlit ones. She was doing some sort of stage sobbing. She turned to me and asked "Do you want a cat?" I told her that I have one right here and He is a handful. Sorry. She began to sob louder. I couldn't help but feel disgust. This woman was clearly trying to look like she cared about this poor cat she had in the box. About a month ago I was at that very same vet office and a woman came out of the back room crying. Real pain. I welled up within seconds of seeing her. I didn't know what was going on but I knew her feelings were real. It was terrible to see someone so upset and not be able to help.
Now this woman with the boxed cat was just full of shit. She and her aging actress/girlfriend were there trying to board the cat until they could find a home for it. She would whisper into the box "It's ok. you'll be fine here.. whaaa whaa whaaaaaaaah" she'd burst into special invisible dry tears. She looked over at me and shot me a look like I just asked for money. Sorry I cant take the cat.
The people at the vet were very nice trying to get some answers from this woman. She didn't know how long the cat was going to be boarded there. She didn't know how to feed it. She couldnt say how old her beloved cat was.
After about 20 minutes of this damn drama the manager comes out and says that they are happy to board the cat however they were worried about abandonment so they were going to have to pay a deposit.
"Oh I wouldn't do that I'm just keeping him here until you find him a home. Can't you put him up on the website or something?"
"sure"
"How much would the deposit be?" Here is the moment we all know will show her true feelings for this poor cat.
"350.00"
"OH my God cat you are going to the POUND!" She said with forceful hatered and disgust for the poor cat.

She said thanks to the staff there but thats too much money for a damn cat and off to the Pasadena KILL shelter she went.

Pen, my lil kitty, is fine. He just needs to adjust his meds. He gets new pills on monday. I hugged him when we got home.

3 comments:

mary bishop said...

I'm so happy Penn is doing well, sad for the kitty in the box and all the other kitties who are not valued or loved.

Maybe someday that skinny-hearted woman will end up in her own "box" and someone will say: sure take her to the home, she's too much bother for us to care for.

EmmaPeel007 said...

As someone who's trying to figure out how to get $1k so our crazy outdoor cat with "issues" can get a chemo shot to help her thyroid condition since she won't let us near her to give her daily meds, I can honestly say that woman is Evil.

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Aw, nice cat story. Glad to know Pen's alright. My Bunter is been INCREDIBLY clingy since coming back from nearly two weeks at the cat hotel. I missed him too.